Apr 19th, 2021
Episode 19: Attitude… The Determining Factor
Attitude is “a settled way of thinking or feeling about someone or something”.
Attitude Is Everything: Change Your Attitude ... Change Your Life!, Jeff Keller
Nothing is as important as developing an attitude fo the self. .
1. Your Attitude Determines the Pace.
- Your attitude is contagious. When you are the leader of a team or a company, or anything for that matter, your people are automatically going to take on the characteristics of your attitude.
- It takes time. BOOK: The Magic of Thinking Big, David Schwartz. Over time, the attitude that you have on a daily basis is going to set into the team. You are the one that sets the tone for your followers, and employees.
- Your attitude impacts the organization. If you want your people to take responsibility, you have to set the tone for that as well.
Leaders are to be the thermostat, not the thermometer.
2. Your Attitude Determines the Passion.
You and your attitude determine the passion that your people are going to have.
- You MUST love what you do. If you are not passionate about what you are doing, get out. As the leader, you are doing nobody any good if you don’t have a passion for what you do.
- You create enthusiasm. Being enthusiastic about what you do is important because it allows people to realize that their enthusiasm matters.
BOOK: How to Win Friends and Influence People, Dale Carnegie
3. Your Attitude Determines the Possibilities.
You need to be able to get people to go from one point to another, and succeed, even when, and especially when they don’t think they can get there.
“Whether you think you can or you think you can’t...you are right.” Henry Ford
There’s nothing worse than a leader that does not believe that the team can overcome a challenge.
If you approach something as possible, the ability of your team to dream and think bigger increases exponentially.
BOOK: The Five Levels of Leadership, John Maxwell
You want to get to the highest level of leadership that you can get. But you can’t do that without focusing on your attitude.
REFLECTION QUESTION: How has your attitude been lately? Look around at the people that you lead and see what their attitudes are. In large part, that has a lot to do with the way that you run the show.
MO’s Final Thoughts:
Attitude is everything. If you don’t know where to start, start with your own attitude. Don’t worry about the people you are leading. Look in the mirror and say, “How has my attitude been with my people lately?” Have a great attitude. Go to work tomorrow and say, “I can’t wait to influence people. I can’t wait to change a life.” When you start having that attitude it really is going to change the way you lead others
Amazon Book Links:
Attitude is Everything, Jeff Keller - https://amzn.to/3cMWEgS
Magic of Thinking Big, David Schwartz - https://amzn.to/3aF5Dhj
How to Win Friends and Influence People, Dale Carnagie - https://amzn.to/2MD12o1
The Five Levels of Leadership, John Maxwell - https://amzn.to/2YMuoTs
Special thanks to:
Work it out by LiQWYD https://soundcloud.com/liqwyd
Creative Commons — Attribution 3.0 Unported — CC BY 3.0
Free Download / Stream: https://bit.ly/l_work-it-out
Music promoted by Audio Library https://youtu.be/erSmdVocHO0